An accidental fire caused significant damage to a part of Edgewood townhouses Thursday afternoon, fire officials said.
The fire was reported by a passerby in the 800 block of Mt. Vernon Court in Edgewood just before 3 p.m. Thursday, according to a release from the Office of the State Fire Marshal. A total of 30 firefighters from the Joppa-Magnolia, Bel Air, Abingdon, Aberdeen Proving Ground, and Kingsville fire companies responded and brought the blaze under control in approximately 10 minutes.
Investigators traced the fire to the wall between two adjacent townhouses on the block, and determined that the fire was accidental, having been ignited by an electrical failure. Total damage to both homes was estimated at $50,000, while damages their contents was estimated at an additional $15,000. The homes were unoccupied at the time of the fire, and their residents are being aided by the Harford County Disaster Assistance Team and the Red Cross.