According to Health.com America’s top 10 Healthiest Grocery Stores are…
1. Whole Foods – 279 stores in 38 states and Washington, D.C.
2. Safeway – 1,700-plus stores nationwide
3. Harris Teeter – 176 stores in the Southeast
4. Trader Joe’s – 300-plus stores in 23 states and Washington, D.C.
5. Hannaford – 165-plus stores in the Northeast
6. Albertsons – 529 stores in the West
7. Food Lion – 1,300 stores in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic
8. Publix Super Markets – 952 stores in the Southeast
9. Pathmark – 141 stores in the Mid-Atlantic
10. SuperTarget – 239 stores in 21 states, primarily Texas and Florida
I would have definitely picked Whole Foods to be in the top 5 but the more traditional, affordable grocers that are so close to our neighborhoods surprised me. The six prominent health experts picked the winners out of the nations largest chains based on the freshest and healthiest foods, and which ones offer the best tools to help shoppers make smart at are leading the way to healthier food shopping choices.
I am very shocked that Ralph’s Grocers is not on there. They are in the West and remind me of Wegman’s.