Firefighters responded to a blaze at a home on Washington Street in Aberdeen Thursday morning which caused an estimated $30,000 in damages but caused no injuries.
According to the State Fire Marshal’s Northeast Regional Office, members of the Aberdeen, APG and Susquehanna fire companies responded to the home of David and Cynthia Johnson at 419 Washington Street shortly before 7 a.m. Thursday after an automatic fire alarm notified the Johnsons of the fire via cell phone.
The homeowner arrived home to find smoke coming from the second story window, moments before firefighters arrived on scene and contained the blaze to a second-story bedroom. According to the fire marshal, the cause of the fire was determined to be improperly discarded smoking material hanging from a plastic bag on the bedroom door.
The fire caused $25,000 in damage to the structure and $5,000 in damage to its contents. The homeowner was able to remove their family pets prior to firefighters’ arrival.