From the Harford County Sheriff’s Office:
As a component of Harford County Law Enforcement’s 2009 Holiday Safety Initiative, Harford County Sheriff’s deputies will be conducting DUI Saturation Patrols throughout the holiday season. Your safety and the safety of all Harford County citizens matter to us. That is why you will find us taking the necessary steps and precautions to keep impaired drivers off the road this holiday season.
Drunk or impaired driving killed nearly 13,000 people in 2007. That’s one person every 40 minutes. That makes it everyone’s problem. So tonight, and throughout the holiday season, if you celebrate with alcohol, use the tips we have provide and remember — Please Don’t Drink and Drive.
Much of the tragedy that results from impaired-driving crashes could be prevented if everyone followed these safety recommendations:
* If you are planning to drink alcohol with friends, designate a sober driver before going out – and give that person your keys.
* If you are impaired, do not drive – call a taxi, use mass transit, or call a sober friend or family member to get you home safely.
* Promptly report impaired drivers you see on the roadways to law enforcement.
* Wear your seat belt while in a car or use a helmet and protective gear when on a motorcycle as these are your best defenses against an impaired driver
* And remember, if you know someone who is about to drive or ride while impaired, take their keys – and help them get to where they are going safely.
Leave a Reply