A fire on Paradise Road in Aberdeen Tuesday afternoon caused $325,000 in damages, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Northeast Regional Office.
More than two dozen firefighters from the Aberdeen, APG, and Level fire companies, as well as members of the Aberdeen Police Department, responded to the home of David and Cindy Hefke at 330 Paradise Road shortly before 2 p.m. Tuesday after an occupant discovered the blaze in progress. The fire was brought under control in approximately 2o minutes, but caused $225,000 in damage to the structure and $100,000 in damage to its contents.
The prelimary cause of the fire was an improperly extinguished cigarette, according to the State Fire Marshal. A smoke alarm was installed and was operational at the time of the fire.
The Hefkes are being assisted by family members.