A firefighter with the Fallston Volunteer Fire and Ambulance Company was transported to a local hospital after suffering smoke inhalation while battling a house fire Saturday afternoon in Fallston.
According to the State Fire Marshal’s Office, firefighter Kenneth Sanner Jr., 22, was taken to the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center’s Burn Center after suffering smoke inhalation in a fire which broke out at a home on the 600 block of Powder Mill Road in Fallston just before 2 p.m. Saturday.
Sanner was treated and released from the hospital as of Sunday evening, the State Fire Marshal’s Office said.
The blaze was discovered by a neighbor in the basement of the single-story home. A total of 25 firefighters from the Fallston, Bel Air, Joppa, Level, and Long Green fire companies brought the fire under control in about 20 minutes.
According to the State Fire Marshal’s Office, the fire was ruled accidental, and was traced to an electrical failure in the home’s utility room. Damage to the home was estimated at $400,000 and damages to its contents were estimated at $100,000.
From the Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS Association:
On Saturday, July 16th, 2010 shortly before 2:00 P.M. Harford County 911 began receiving multiple calls of smoke coming from a dwelling in the 600 block of Powder Mill Rd. in the Fallston area. Initial calls were from neighbors in the area, also reporting that apparently no occupants of the dwelling were at home.
First arriving units from the Fallston Volunteer Fire and Ambulance Company were met with smoke coming from the chimney and eaves of the house. Upon entry to the single story rancher, fire crews encountered thick smoke and significant heat inside the structure. Crews were able to quickly locate the seat of the fire in a basement storage area. The fire was brought under control in approximately 20 minutes.
During the course of locating and extinguishing the fire one fire fighter suffered minor injuries from smoke inhalation. He was treated by EMS personnel on scene and transported to Johns Hopkins- Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore, were he was evaluated, treated and released later Saturday evening.
Investigation by the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office has ruled the fire accidental in nature, caused by an electrical malfunction and they estimate the damages to the structure and contents at $500,000. It was determined that the fire had apparently been burning for several hours while the home owners were not home, prior to any calls to 911.
Firefighters and support personnel were on the scene from the Fallston, Bel Air, Joppa-Magnolia, Level, and Jarrettsville Volunteer Fire Companies in Harford County as well as the Kingsville and Long Green Volunteer Fire Companies from Baltimore County.