From the Harford County Board of Education:
The Board of Education of Harford County met in an open business meeting on Monday, September 26, 2011, in the Board Room of the HCPS/A.A. Roberty Building and took the following the actions or received the following presentations:
Recognized the posthumous induction of former Superintendent Dr. Jacqueline C. Haas into the HCPS Educator Hall of Fame in honor of her 30 years of dedicated service to the students and staff of Harford County. Many former Board members, colleagues, family and friends attended the recognition ceremony including, Interim State Superintendent Dr. Bernard J. Sadusky, Executive Director of the Public School Superintendents Association of Maryland (PSSAM) Dr. Carl D. Roberts, former HCPS Superintendent Dr. A.A. Roberty, former HCPS Interim Superintendent Patricia Skebeck and former Board President Mark M. Wolkow.
Received a presentation on Maryland Association of Boards of Education (MABE) by Mr. Thomas A. Carr, president and Mr. Carl W. Smith, executive director.
Approved the Consent Agenda:Minutes of Previous Meetings September 12, 2011
– Contract for Special Education Services
– Appointment of Negotiating Teams
– Fire Prevention Week
– National Red Ribbon Week
– School Bus Safety
– National School Lunch Week
· Approved the FY2013 Capital Improvement Program with two amendments: (1) to remove priority item number six (Center for Educational Opportunity), seven (Homestead/Wakefield Elementary School), eight (John Archer School at Bel Air Campus), nine (Youth’s Benefit Elementary School Replacement), and 10 (William Paca/Old Post Road Elementary School Replacement) from the priority list and hold them in abeyance until the findings of the Facilities Master Plan are available; and, (2) to reduce the Stadium Repairs line item four (formerly entitled ‘Stadium Improvement Upgrades’) to $25,000 with the remainder of the $2.5 million reallocated to the Technology Infrastructure line item. In addition, Councilman Dick Slutzky and Harford County Chief of Budget, Research and Management Kim Spence addressed the Board to highlight the high level of cooperation between HCPS and Harford County Government in developing the Capital Budget. Also, approved the FY 2012 Supplementary Funding Program – Application for the following two (2) schools: Havre de Grace Elementary School for Central Cooling Plant Upgrades to include Chiller Replacement and Boiler Room Controls Update/Retrofit and Church Creek Elementary School for Central Cooling Plant Upgrades to include Chiller Replacement in the amount of $833,750.
· During the Superintendent’s Report, an announcement was made regarding the $270,000 Department of Defense Education Award (DoDEA) to Harford County Public Schools for the “Chargers and Mustangs Succeed in STEM” program at both Churchville and Meadowvale elementary schools.