A 36-year-old man was taken to the hospital Sunday afternoon after suffering from smoke inhalation in an Abingdon townhouse fire.
On Sunday, at about 12:25 p.m., 40 firefighters from Abingdon, Joppa and Bel Air responded to the 600 block of North Branch Court in Abingdon where a two-story wood frame townhouse was ablaze.
At the scene, August M. Ruggerio III was transported to Upper Chesapeake Medical Center by Abingdon Volunteer Fire Company emergency medical service personnel for smoke inhalation.
That State Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire was discovered by Ruggerio in the basement of the home, but had been extinguishd by the residential sprinkler system installed in the dwelling.
The fire caused an estimated $5,000 to structure and another $1,000 to its contents.