An unattended cigarette left on a reclining chair sparked a two-alarm fire that injured a man and caused an estimated $200,000 in damages to a Bel Air home Tuesday morning.
At about 9:20 a.m. Tuesday, a fire was reported in a two-story single family dwelling in the 300 block of Umbarger Drive in Bel Air. The fire had been discovered by the homeowner in the first floor living area.
Approximately 40 firefighters from the Bel Air, Fallston, Abingdon, Level, Aberdeen and Kingsville fire companies responded to the two-alarm fire, bringing it under control in about 20 minutes.
The homeowner sustained minor burns in the blaze, but refused treatment at the scene, fire officials said.
The fire was traced to an unattended cigarette left in a reclining chair, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office. The blaze caused an estimated $150,000 in damage to structure and $50,000 to the contents of the home.
A smoke alarm was present and working in the home.