The following letter was written by Adam Skolnik, Executive Director of The Maryland Multi-Housing Association, Inc. A copy was provided to The Dagger for publication:
The Harford County Council is seriously considering instituting rental registration as part of an update to the already existing Livability Code (adopted in 1988 (attached)). A task force has been created to study the issue; for some reason the task force has been asked to craft legislation that would be reviewed and voted on in January 2012.
We attended a meeting yesterday with other rental housing providers and Councilman Dion Guthrie and Harford County Director of Housing Shawn Kingston. According to them no bill has actually been written to date. We made it very clear that we are against any form of Rental Registration. Attached are the minutes of various task force meetings.
We suggest that you contact the following council people and the county executive to voice your opinion. The more e-mails and telephone calls that these leaders receive from you and your team members, telling them that rental registration should NOT be any part of this code update the better chance we have of prevailing. Please contact me if you have any questions.
1. County Executive – David R. Craig 410-638-3350 CountyExecutive@harfordcountymd.gov
2. Council President – Billy Boniface 410-638-3525 firstname.lastname@example.org
3. District A – Dion Guthrie 410-638-3521 email@example.com
4. District B – Joe Woods 410-639-3520 firstname.lastname@example.org
5. District C – James “Capt’n Jim McMahan 410-638-3523 email@example.com
6. District D – Chad Shrodes 410-638-3524 firstname.lastname@example.org
7. District E – Richard Slutzky 410-638-3522 email@example.com
8. District F – Mary Ann Lisanti 410-638-3526 firstname.lastname@example.org
Adam Skolnik, CPM
The Maryland Multi-Housing Association, Inc. (MMHA)