From Harford County Public Schools:
The Board of Education of Harford County met for a special business meeting on Monday, February 27, 2012, in the Board Room of the HCPS/A.A. Roberty Building and took the following actions or received the following presentations:
Recognized the following:
– HCPS Educator Hall of Fame – Levin Heath
– Maryland Blue Ribbon School – Ring Factory Elementary School
– Maryland Excellence in Gifted and Talented Education School Award – Prospect Mill Elementary School
Approved the Consent Agenda:
– Minutes of previous meetings; February 13, 2012
National Music in Our Schools and Youth Art Month
Women’s History Month and International Women’s Day
Approved the following appointments into the Secondary Principal’s Pool:
– Mary A. Boswell-McComas, instructional facilitator, North Harford Middle/Southampton Middle
– Susan P. Brown, coordinator of intervention, Central Office
– Natalie N. Holloway, assistant principal, Aberdeen Middle
– R. Micah Humbert, assistant principal, North Harford Middle
– James L. Johnson, assistant principal, Havre de Grace Middle
– Kilo C. Mack, assistant principal, Aberdeen High
– James F. Reynolds, assistant principal, Bel Air High
– Michael J. Thatcher, instructional facilitator, Edgewood Middle
Received a Legislative Update from Kathy Carmello, facilitator for government relations.
– Parent-Teacher Meeting Unpaid Leave – HB567, SB329 – received a presentation on the recommendation for the bill.
– SB344 – State Verified Leave Program – Del. McDonough asked the Board to support the bill – HCPS already has language in its solicitation documents regarding the use of illegal immigrants in contractors or for employment which would violate Federal, local and state laws – received a presentation on the recommendation for the bill.
Received a presentation on the Quarterly Financial Report for December 31, 2011.
Received a presentation regarding a Board Policy revision on the Ethics Policy. The alterations to the existing policy are based on changes in the Maryland Ethics Law. Changes were made to the law in 2010. Model policies for local school boards were provided. May/June 2011 a draft policy was established. Board Ethics Panel reviewed the drafted policy. Required to be approved by the State Ethics Commission – the draft policy was approved in January 2012.
Received the Superintendent’s Report:
– Acknowledged the Ohio school shooting tragedy that occurred today and extended condolences to the family, the school and the community.
– Read a thank you letter for the League of Women’s Voters for the more than 400 Harford County students who are now registered voters.
– Announced the Destination Imagination tournament that will be held on March 3rd.
– Read a letter from Carinda Rafferty, parent liaison for William Paca/Old Post Road Elementary, which recognized our Print Services Department for a detailed print job that was recently completed.