A Street man suffered smoke inhalation during a fire which heavily damaged his home Thursday afternoon, fire officials said.
The fire was discovered at approximately 12:41 p.m. in the laundry room of a one-story wood frame home on the 3000 block of Blue House Road in Street, according to a statement from the state fire marshal’s office. A total of 30 firefighters from the Darlington, Whiteford, Bel Air, level, and Delta Cardiff fire companies brought the blaze under control in about 30 minutes.
Charles Jackson, 39, suffered smoke inhalation in the fire and was transported to Johns Hopkins Bayview Burn Center, where he was treated and released.
Damage to the home is estimated at $150,000, and damage to its contents is estimated at $50,000. Investigators ruled the fire accidental in nature, tracing it to an electrical malfunction in the home’s washing machine, the state fire marshal’s office said.
The fire displaced two adults and two children, who are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.