From the Harford County Board of Education:
The Board of Education of Harford County met for a special business meeting on Monday, April 30, 2012, in the Board Room of the HCPS/A.A. Roberty Building and took the following actions or received the following presentations:
Recognized the following:
Approved the tabling of Consent Agenda item 4 and 6 (Decision on Award of Contract:
Approved the remainder of the Consent Agenda (items 1,2, 3, 5, 7 – 9), which includes:
2) Minutes of Previous Meetings:
– April 4, 2012
– April 10, 2012
3) Decision on Contract Award: William Paca Elementary School School – Air Conditioning and Old Post Road Restroom ADA Upgrades
5) Decision on Award of Contract: Hall’s Cross Roads Elementary School – HVAC Upgrade
6) Decision on Award of Contract: Instructional Development Professional Program
7) Decision on Contract Award: Title 1 Educational Services for Eligible Non-Public School Students
School Nutrition Employee Appreciation Week
Home and Hospital Teachers Appreciation Week
2012 Merit Scholastic Awards
National Physical Fitness and Sports Month
Pupil Personnel Worker Week
School Nurses Day
Teacher Appreciation Week
Approved the refinancing plan for the A.A. Roberty Building Certificates and Harford County Phase I and Phase II Energy Leases. This refinance will potential save $1.5 million in interest savings over time.
· Approved the Superintendent’s recommendation to transfer capital funds in the amount of $210,000 between two capital projects.
· Received a Legislative Report from Government Relations Coordinator Kathy Carmello regarding the 2012 Legislative Session.
· Superintendent’s Report:
Highlighted the National Math and Science Initiative (NMSI) Grant Kick-off Event held this morning at the A.A. Roberty Building Board room. Thanked all our dignitaries for attending. Students Monique Watson and Morgan Sulzbach, and Aria Real were thanked for sharing their talents at the event.
Announced that the Certificate of Achievement in Excellence in Financial Reporting by the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA) was awarded to the HCPS Budget Office again this year for its comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR).
Acknowledged Youth’s Benefit Elementary School for their participation in the Maryland State Department of Education and Maryland Food Bank’s Harvest for the Hungry “Kids Helping Kids” food collection campaign. The school helped to collect over 460,000 pounds of food to help feed hungry children across Maryland.
Announced that the 2011 Team Nutrition Grant has been awarded by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) to the following schools:
– North Harford Elementary School
– George D. Lisby at Hillsdale Elementary School
– Edgewood Elementary
– Hall’s Cross Roads Elementary School
– Forest Hill Elementary School
– Magnolia Elementary School
– Deerfield Elementary
– William Paca/Old Post Road Elementary
– Emmorton Elementary