A Darlington man was hospitalized with chest pains Tuesday after returning home to find his Main Street house was the scene of a blaze being battled by 40 firefighters.
At about 11:45 a.m. Tuesday, a passerby reported heavy smoke coming from the second floor of a two-story single family dwelling in the 1100 block of Main Street in Darlington.
Initially, there were reports of possible entrapment, but these were later determined to be false after the fire department searched the home.
The occupants of the home were not at the residence whenn the fire was discovered. Upon returning home and discovering the fire department busy combating the flames, Richard Dickinson complained of chest pain and was transported to Upper Chesapeake Medical Center. He is expected to be treated and released.
The investigation revealed that an electrical malfunction had occurred in the attic above a rear, second-floor bedroom. The fire was contained to the attic of the home due to the efforts of the fire department, but the home sustained extensive water damage throughout. The State Fire Marshal’s Office estimated the fire caused $100,000 to house and another $25,000 to its contents.
The occupants and their two children are being assisted by family and friends.
Forty firefighters from Darlington, Level, Aberdeen, Susquehanna Hose Company, Whiteford, Port Deposit, Rising Sun, Bel Air and Delta-Cardiff responded and had the single-alarm fire under control within 30 minutes.
A smoke alarm was present and working in the home.