An electrical system failure at an Edgewood apartment complex sparked a fire Thursday, which caused an estimated $5,000 in damage.
At about 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, an occupant at Oak Grove Apartments in the 6200 block of Edgewood Road in Edgewood reported a fire in the interior of a second floor apartment.
Twenty-five firefighters from Abingdon, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Bel Air and Joppa responded to the single-alarm fire and had it under control within 20 minutes. A failure in the electrical distribution system for the complex was blamed for sparking the accidental fire.
The Office of the State Fire Marshal estimated the fire caused $5,000 in damage to the two-story garden style apartment complex. A smoke alarm was present and working in the apartment.