From Del. Pat McDonough:
TOP 10 REASONS WHY ‘SPECIAL SESSION” IS A BAD IDEA by DELEGATE PAT McDONOUGH
10) Gaming industry economics will be depressed by additional casino competition.
9) Six casinos will violate “fairness doctrine” by betraying investors of the original five locations contained in the Maryland Constitution.
8.) The disruption of the competition with a new casino will generate many job losses throughout the state.
7) The new competition will transform the existing facilities into “white elephants” creating a burden for the taxpayers.
6) This is a “sellout” special session where legislators will play the game “Let’s Make a Deal.”
5) The rush to judgment Special Session will not allow enough time for serious study of the economic issues.
4) All of the gambling issues can be addressed in the regular legislative session in January, 2013.
3) This is an abuse of power by Senate President Mike Miller to accommodate his “special interest” friends.
2) This is an abuse of power by Governor Martin O’Malley to accommodate his friends at MGM.
1) The Special Session is unconstitutional. There is no extraordinary or emergency reason to waste the taxpayers’ money.
Bottom Line – Winners, special interests. Losers, the taxpayers.