A faulty electrical cord is being blamed for sparking a fire in Edgewood Sunday, which displaced four adults, killed a cat living in the home, and caused an estimated $35,000 in damage.
At 3 p.m. on Sunday, an occupant of the one-story split foyer wood frame single family house in the 1900 block of Harewood Road in Edgewood reported a fire in the kitchen.
Thirty-five firefighters from Joppa, Abingdon, Aberdeen Proving Ground, and Kingsville responded and had the fire under control within 10 minutes.
The fire was ruled accidental and was believed to have been the result of an electrical failure of a power cord to a coffee pot in the kitchen.
The Office of the State Fire Marshal estimated the fire caused $25,000 in damage to the house and another $10,000 to its contents.
A smoke alarm was present, but not working, in the home.
Stove Fire Friday in Joppa
Just after 11 a.m. Friday, a passerby noticed and reported a fire at a two-story townhouse in the 900 block of Rumsey Place in Joppa.
Forty-five firefighters from Joppa-Magnolia, the Edgewood Area of Aberdeen Proving Ground, Kingsville, and White Marsh responded and were able to control the fire within 55 minutes.
The Office of the State Fire Marshal estimated the fire, believed to have originated on top of the stove in the kitchen, caused $15,000 in damage to the home and another $5,000 to its contents.
A smoke alarm was present in the home and activated.
Anyone with information concerning this fire is asked to contact the Office of the State Fire Marshal (410) 836-4844.