A 4-year-old Aberdeen boy is being credited with discovering a fire in his bedroom and alerting his grandmother late Saturday night, so that the family could escape the burning home before anyone was injured.
Just before 11 p.m. on Saturday, the child – whose parents were not home – discovered that an unattended candle had started a fire in his bedroom within the one-story duplex home on Defense Drive in Aberdeen.
The boy alerted his grandmother about the fire, and her brother attempted to extinguish it with a blanket and a fire extinguisher before the smoke and flames grew too intense. All three escaped the burning home and alerted a neighbor who called 911.
Forty firefighters from Aberdeen, Aberdeen Proving Ground and the Susquehanna Hose Company responded and had the fire under control within 20 minutes.
There were no injuries sustained, but the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office estimated the fire caused $100,000 worth of damage to the house and $25,000 in damage to its contents.
A smoke alarm was present and activated in the home.