An Abingdon home was damaged early Friday morning by a fire which broke out when fireplace ashes were improperly disposed, fire officials said.
The fire was reported just after 12:30 a.m. Friday on the exterior of a home on the 900 block of Harvey Lane in Abingdon, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office. A total of 11 firefighters from the Abingdon and Joppa-Magnolia volunteer fire companies brought the blaze under control in approximately 5 minutes.
The home sustained an estimated $3,000 in damage, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office. Investigators determined that the fire was accidentally lit due to the “misplacement of ashes” from the home’s fireplace.