A portable classroom at Forest Lakes Elementary in Forest Hill was heavily damaged in a fire early Thursday morning, fire officials said.
A Harford County Sheriff’s Office deputy on patrol in the area discovered the fire in the detached portable building at approximately 1:20 a.m., according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office. A total of 30 firefighters from the Bel Air and Jarrettsville volunteer fire companies brought the blaze under control in approximately five minutes.
The fire was traced back to an internal malfunction in the portable’s heating unit. A fire alarm was present but did not active, the fire marshal’s office said. The portable was being used for storage purposes only.
Damage was contained to the heating unit and a large area of the front of the building, with extensive smoke and soot damage through the portable. Damage to the structure was estimated at $40,000, while damages to its contents were estimated at $10,000.
Leave a Reply