Firefighters from three local companies responded to a small fire which broke out in a shed at an Edgewood residence shortly after noon on Saturday.
Passersby alerted neighbors to the fire in a 10-foot by six-foot shed at a residence on the 1800 block of Mandarin Court in Edgewood at approximately 12:10 p.m. Saturday, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office. A total of 35 firefighters from the Joppa-Magnolia, Abingdon and Aberdeen Proving Ground fire companies brought the blaze under control in about seven minutes.
According to the State Fire Marshal’s Office, investigators determined that the fire began after the shed’s owner was making sausages and left an electric smoker unattended. The smoke was placed on top of wood and, after the water pan became dry, overheated and ignited wood, wood chips, and other combustibles.
The fire spread to a neighbor’s yard, causing damage to their shed as well. Total damages to both structures and their contents were estimated at $1,500.