From the Harford County Board of Education:
The Board of Education of Harford County met for an open business meeting at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, May 13, 2013, in the Board Room of the HCPS/A.A. Roberty Building and took the following actions and received the following presentations:
Appointed Barbara P. Canavan as interim superintendent of Harford County Public Schools, effective July 1, 2013. In addition, the Board approved the contract for Mrs. Canavan’s one-year term.
Approved the Consent Agenda:
2. Minutes of Previous Board Meeting: April 22, 2013
3. Contract Award: HVAC Replacement at Prospect Mill Elementary School
4. Contract Award: Manufacturer Direct Juice Products
Approved the recommendation of earning high school credit for World Language courses taken in middle school.
Received a presentation on changes to the following HCPS Board Policies. The first four items will be held over for a minimum of 30-days for public comment.
1. Presentation on Absence of the Principal (recommended for deletion)
2. Presentation on Emergency Procedures of Public Schools (recommended for deletion)
3. Presentation on Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) Orders (recommendation for deletion)
4. Presentation on Student Control and Classroom Management (recommendation for deletion)
5. Tabled the decision on the advertising policy.
Received a presentation of the Quarterly Financial Report for the Period Ending March 31, 2013.
Received the Superintendent’s Report, which included:
1. Congratulated Barbara Canavan on her appointment and Principal Blaine Hawley on her appointment as Zone 3 Director of the National Association of Elementary School Principals.
2. A reminder announcement of the cost-saving measure of a four-day work week during the summer of 2013.
3. Announced the appointments and transfers of several administrative positions for the 2013-14 school year that. A full list can be found below:
The next Board of Education business meeting will be held on Tuesday, May 28, 2013, at 6:30 p.m. All Board meetings are held at the A.A. Roberty Building in Bel Air. To access all future Board meeting dates, log onto the school system website at www.hcps.org.