Firefighters from the Susquehanna Hose Company and Aberdeen Fire Department battled a Wednesday morning blaze which investigators said was ignited by a child.
The fire was discovered by the occupant of an apartment in the 500 block of Girard Street in Havre de Grace shortly after 11 a.m. Wednesday morning, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office. A smoke alarm was present but did not operate.
Approximately 70 firefighters from the two companies, as well as members of the Havre de Grace Ambulance Corp. responded to the scene, and brought the fire under control in about 20 minutes.
The fire was traced to a second floor apartment bedroom and was determined to be the result of children playing with fire. Damage to the structure is estimated at $60,000, and damages to its contents were estimated at $10,000. Three adults and four children were displaced as a result of the blaze, and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
Leave a Reply