From the Harford County Board of Education:
The Board of Education of Harford County met for an open business meeting at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, July 29, 2013, in the Board Room of the HCPS/A.A. Roberty Building and took the following actions and received the following presentations:
Conducted elections for the president and vice president position on the Board of Education. Nancy Reynolds was elected to the presidency position and Francis F. “Rick” Grambo was elected as the vice president.
Conducted the swearing-in ceremony of the 2013-14 student representative on the Board of Education, Mr. Benjamin C. Barsam of Bel Air High School.
Recognized the following:
– Participants of the Community Transformation Grant.
Received a presentation by the Harford County Education Association (HCEA) President Ryan Burbey.
Approved the Consent Agenda:
– Minutes of Previous Board Meeting: June 24, 2013
– Reappointment of Candidate for Board of Education Ethics Panel
– Approval of Amended Restricted Budget
– Decision on Contract Award: Heartland Payment Systems, Inc.
– Decision on Contract Award: Glennco, Inc. Frozen Pretzels
– Decision on Contract Award: Architectural/Engineering Services Fallston high School HVAC Systemic Replacement Project
– Decision on Contract Award: Architectural/Engineering Services Norrisville Elementary School Comprehensive HVAC Systemic Replacement Project
Received a presentation on the FY15 Capital Improvement Program.
Received a presentation of HCPS Board of Education Policies for revision:
– Clubs (06-0010-000) (Presentation only)
– Curricular and Extracurricular Activities (06-0007-000) (Presentation only)
– Approved the revision of the Portable Communication Devices (06-0005-000) which provide the addition of middle and elementary school students to be eligible to carry cell phones and other portable communication devices (PCD). Please see the full verbiage for all PCD changes.
– Approved the revision of the Procurement of Green Cleaning Supplies (18-0003-000)
Received the Superintendent’s Report which:
– Acknowledgement of the ‘Shifts in Education’ Conference. During the month of July, teachers and administrators participated in the summer conference at the Center for Educational Opportunity in Aberdeen. Over 1,300 teachers and administrators registered to attend at least one session during the conference. Participants are able to engage in professional learning with content supervisors, teachers, facilitators, and their colleagues on a variety of topics. Teacher and administrators will have one additional opportunity to attend sessions during the week of August 13 – 15 and may register for multiple days and/or sessions.
– Provided information regarding two work groups, consisting of school and central office administrators, who have been working collaboratively over the last two weeks to create professional development plans and processes with regard to Charlotte Danielson’s Framework for Teaching and teacher observation and evaluation for the 2013-14 school year.
The next Board of Education business meeting will be held on Monday, August 12 at 6:30 p.m. All Board meetings are held at the A.A. Roberty Building in Bel Air. To access all future Board meeting dates, log onto the school system website at www.hcps.org.