Outbreak of Accidental Fire at Darlington Gas Station Halted by Quick Response of Witness

A fire which broke out at a gas station Saturday evening was extinguished by the quick actions of an onlooker, fire officials said.

According to a release from the Office of the State Fire Marshal, the fire occurred at approximately 7:23 p.m. Saturday at the Citgo station on the 3900 block of Conowingo Road in Darlington. Fire officials said an electrical malfunction within the station’s underground wiring ignited a fire at handle of a diesel pump, and the blaze began to spread.

A neighbor across the street, 21-year-old Ryan Roddam, observed the fire at the same time as some of the station’s customers who first reported the fire. According to the release, Roddam alerted the gas station’s employees, who activated the pump’s emergency shutoff while Roddam put out the fire with an extinguisher.

State Fire Marshal’s investigators credited his quick actions with preventing further damage; the blaze had been fully extinguished by the time firefighters from the Darlington Volunteer Fire Company arrived on scene. Damage to the station was estimated at $1,000.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*