From the Harford County Board of Education:
The Board of Education of Harford County met for an open business meeting at 6:30 p.m., on Monday, September 23, 2013, in the Board Room of the HCPS/A.A. Roberty Building and took the following actions and received the following presentations:
- 2013 Nurse of the Year, Janet L. Mueller, Havre de Grace Elementary School
- HealthierUS School Challenge (HUSSC)
- Custodial Award Program
Approved the Consent Agenda with the removal of the Benefits Advisory Committee Report:
- Minutes of Previous Board Meeting: September 9, 2013
Voted to hold the decision on both policies for another 30 days to allow for public comment due to the revision of language since the last presentation. HCPS Board Policies:
- Clubs (06-0010-000) – revised regulatory language in existing policy, definitions added, added language to regulate scheduled club activities, and addressed meetings in private homes and residences of sponsors.
- Curricular and Extracurricular Activities (06-0007-000) — revised regulatory language in existing policy, definitions added, added language to regulate scheduled club activities, and addressed meetings in private homes and residences of sponsors.
Received a presentation on the scope study for Havre de Grace High School. The Board was provided with three options: limited renovation, modernization alternate and a replacement building. The third option was the recommendation of the committee. Alternate schemes were also developed to include a combination middle/high school plan. The Board voted to approve the scope study option C with a vote of 6 – 3.
Approved the FY2015 Capital Improvement Program as presented with the following amendments:
- Technology Infrastructure project ($21,866,900) to number 11 on the priority list.
- Eliminated the request for $2.294 million in county funding request for Prospect Mill Elementary School HVAC project to request local funds for the structural needs in order to eliminate the security issue at the three remaining open space elementary schools (Bel Air Elementary, North Harford Elementary, William Paca/Old Post Road and William S. James). An amendment was also made and approved to include the fifth open space school in need; Prospect Mill Elementary School.
- Removed $400,000 from the Major HVAC Repairs line item and move the funding request to the line that would be necessary to cover the costs of the open space classroom project.
Received a presentation of the Quarterly Financial Report for the period ending June 30, 2013.
- Due to the late hour, the Superintendent declined to provide a report this evening.
The next Board of Education business meeting will be held on Monday, October 14, at 6:30 p.m. All Board meetings are held at the A.A. Roberty Building in Bel Air. To access all future Board meeting dates, log onto the school system website at www.hcps.org.