From the Harford County Public Library:
The Edgewood Library will celebrate 50 years of service to the community with a special open house on Monday, December 9th. Amongst the planned commemorative activities are historical displays, a cake cutting at 5:30 pm and a special holiday performance from the Edgewood High School Jazz Ensemble at 6:00 pm. Events and activities are open to the public and are for all ages.
Harford County Public Library’s commitment to the Edgewood area began in the 1940s when bookmobile service was established with regular stops that included story times within the community. The dream of a brick and mortar library for the Edgewood community became a reality when a groundbreaking ceremony was held in June 1962 at the Hanson Road lot donated by R. Walter Ward and Melvin Bosely of the Ward and Bosely Real Estate Firm. On December 15, 1963, the Edgewood Library officially opened, providing a 3,200 square foot facility.
In 1979, a 4,020 square foot addition was built. The Edgewood community continued to grow and in 1996, plans for renovation and expansion were initiated again. The addition of another 7,000 square feet was completed and the Library reopened in February of 2001.
The current 16,500 square foot branch represents a collaborative effort between Harford County Public Library and Harford Community College. The Library facility offers drive-up window service, ample access to public computers, and a community meeting room with a capacity for 100 people. The College houses two computer classrooms and one traditional classroom.
For more information on Edgewood anniversary events or the open house, call (410) 612-1600 or visit HCPLonline.org.
The first brick and mortar library in Edgewood opened to the public in December of 1963.
The Edgewood Library received an addition in 1979 that served the community for many years until another addition in 2001.
The present-day library is a bustling center of activity for the Edgewood area.