From the Harford County Board of Education:
The Board of Education of Harford County met for an open business meeting at 6:30 p.m., on Monday, December 16, 2013, in the Board Room of the HCPS/A.A. Roberty Building and took the following actions and received the following presentations:
Recognized the following:
- Fall 2013 HCPS State/Region Interscholastic Athletic Champions & Sportsmanship Award Winners
- 2013-14 Maryland Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (MAHPERD) Emerging Leaders Award: Brian Harris, North Harford Middle School and Allison Hunsinger, Red Pump Elementary School
- 2013-14 Simon McNeely Award Winners: Matthew Roseland, Physical Education, Patterson Mill Middle School and Ronald Stump, Physical Education, Roye-Williams Elementary School
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance’s R. Tait McKenzie Award: Ginny Popiolek
- Maryland Council for Social Studies’ Instructional Leader of the Year: George Toepfer
Approved the Consent Agenda:
- Minutes of Previous Board Meeting: November 11, 2013
- Minutes of Previous Special Board Meeting: November 18, 2013
- Monthly Report on Personnel: October 2013
- Monthly Report on Personnel: November 2013
- Decision on School Sponsored Project: C. Milton Wright High School Electronic Scoreboards
- Decision on School Sponsored Project: C. Milton Wright High School Site Improvements and Memorial
- Decision on Award of Contract for Custodial Cleaning Supplies and Related Products
- African-American History Month/Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Maryland Reading Month
- National Mentoring Month
Approved the proposed 2014-15 Calendar.
Approved the promotion of Mrs. Renee Villareal, currently the principal of Havre de Grace Elementary School, to Coordinator of School Improvement and Intervention.
Received a presentation on Recruitment and Retention by Mrs. Jean Mantegna, assistant superintendent of human resources.
Received a presentation regarding the following HCPS Board Policies:
- Adjustment of School Boundary Attendance Areas
- Closure of a School
These policies will be posted on the school system website for a period of 30-days for public comment prior to a Board vote.
Received the presentation on the Superintendent’s Proposed FY15 Operating Budget.
Received the Superintendent’s Report:
- Extended wishes to everyone for a happy holiday!
The next Board of Education business meeting will held on Monday, January 13, 2014, at 6:30 p.m. All Board meetings are held at the A.A. Roberty Building in Bel Air. To access all future Board meeting dates, log onto the school system website at www.hcps.org.