From the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal:
Deputy State Fire Marshals have concluded their investigation in how a campfire at 1309 Gunston Drive injured two juveniles that resulted in one of them being flown to John Hopkins Hospital Children’s Center.
Investigators determined a small group of pre-teens were having an orderly party that was supervised by a parent and when the parent stepped inside the home, a twelve (12) year old male juvenile retrieved a gasoline container from the yard of the home and poured gasoline onto the campfire which resulted in a flash fire injuring the juvenile and another eleven (11) year old male juvenile.
Both juveniles were treated on scene by Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company EMS personnel with the twelve- year old male subsequently being flown to John Hopkins Children’s Center by Maryland State Police Aviation Command. The eleven-year old was transported to the same hospital by Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company. Both juveniles are expected to make a full recovery and will be released from the hospital soon. No malicious intent was identified at the conclusion of the investigation and no charges will be filed.
The Office of the State Fire Marshal is responsible for investigating all open flame burn injuries and the agency usually investigates a higher number of these type of fires during the summer and/or warmer days and urges all Marylanders to never use gasoline to start or accelerate a campfire and take the time to talk to kids about the hazards of gasoline. Gasoline vapors are extremely flammable and an estimated 1,500 children are injured or killed in gasoline related type fires in the United States.