An Edgewood warehouse sustained serious damage in an accidental Sunday afternoon blaze, authorities said.
According to a release from the Office of State Fire Marshal, firefighters responded to an automatic alarm and sprinkler activation at a commercial warehouse in the 2100 block of Emmorton Park Road in Edgewood shortly after 1 p.m. Sunday.
A total of 20 firefighters from the Abingdon, Joppa, Aberdeen Proving Ground, and Bel Air fire companies as well as members of the Harford County Hazmat team responded and observed smoke coming from the building. Fire crews discovered a fire inside the warehouse being controlled by the building’s sprinkler system, and extinguished the blaze in about 30 minutes.
Investigators ruled the fire accidental in nature, and determined it was sparked by an electric heater which was placed too close to combustible material. Damage to the structure was estimated at $20,000 while damages to its contents were estimated at an additional $20,000. No injuries were reported.