(Photo Courtesy: Andrew Nau, Abingdon Fire Company)
A Belcamp home was heavily damaged in an accidental fire Wednesday morning, fire officials said.
The fire broke out just before 9:30 a.m. in the garage of a home in the 1300 block of Marigold Court in Belcamp, according to a release from the Office of the State Fire Marshal. The home’s occupants attempted to put out the fire with extinguishers and a garden hose, but were unsuccessful. A total of 45 firefighters from the Abingdon, Joppa-Magnolia, Bel Air, Aberdeen, Aberdeen Proving Ground, and Susquehanna fire companies brought the blaze under control in about 15 minutes.
Investigators traced the fire to an overloaded and malfunctioning electrical power strip in the garage. Damage to the home was estimated at $250,000, and damages to its contents were estimated at $50,000. A family of six was displaced and is being assisted by the Red Cross, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office.