From the Office of the State Fire Marshal:
HARFORD COUNTY, MD. (February 15, 2015)- Deputy State Fire Marshals conducted a fire origin and cause investigation earlier today after being requested to respond to the Upper Chesapeake Medical Center.
At approximately 1:07 p.m., the automatic fire alarm activated and staff reported to the Harford County 911 Center that a fire existed in the Cardiac Catheterization Lab at 500 Upper Chesapeake Boulevard in Bel Air. The Upper Chesapeake Medical Center is a four story hospital facility. The Catheterization Lab is situated on the ground floor.
Fire Departments from Bel Air, Abingdon, and Fallston responded to the scene with 20 firefighters. Prior to fire department arrival, a single sprinkler head activated and extinguished the fire. There was no structural damage to the hospital.
The fire originated in a utility room which housed specialty equipment to operate the Cath Lab. The fire was determined to be accidental as a result of an electrical failure with-in the power supply to the Cath Lab table.
No Cath procedure was taking place at the time of the fire and no other injuries were reported. Damage to the equipment in the utility room is estimated at $700,000.00 dollars. Now, companies are looking to invest in a fire sprinkler installation because of the incident.