A Joppa home sustained damage in an accidental fire Tuesday evening, according to fire officials.
The fire was discovered in a bedroom by the occupants of a home in the 400 block of Dembytown Road in Joppa at approximately 7:45 p.m. Tuesday night, according to a statement from the Office of the State Fire Marshal. A total of 20 firefighters from the Joppa-Magnolia, Aberdeen, and Aberdeen Proving Ground fire companies responded and brought the blaze under control in approximately 20 minutes.
The fire was determined to be accidental in nature and was traced to an electrical failure in an extension cord. Damage to the home was estimated at $10,000, while damages to its contents were estimated at $5,000. The family occupying the home was displaced as a result of the fire, and is being assisted by the Harford County Disaster Assistance Team and the Red Cross.