An accidental fire damaged a Bel Air-area church Wednesday night, according to fire officials.
The fire was reported by an automated alarm in the stairwell of Clarks United Methodist Church in the 2000 block of Kalmia Road shortly after 8:15 p.m. Wednesday, according to a statement from the Office of the State Fire Marshal. A total of 16 firefighters from the Bel Air and Darlington Volunteer Fire Companies responded and brought the blaze under control in approximately 10 minutes.
The fire was ruled accidental in nature and was traced to an electrical failure in a light. Damage to the church was estimated at $15,000, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office.