An 85-yr-old woman was transported and admitted to Upper Chesapeake Medical Center for minor smoke inhalation and evaluation after her Abingdon home caught fire early Thursday morning.
Just after midnight on Thursday, emergency responders were dispatched to the 3100 block of Laurel Bush Road in Abingdon for a dwelling fire in a one-story, rancher style, single family dwelling.
An 85-yr-old woman living in the home said she awakened to a smoke alarm sounding and subsequently discovered a fire in the kitchen. She awoke her husband and assisted him to the front door where she had difficulty getting him outside. Upon exiting her home, she observed a passing Harford County Sheriff’s Office deputy and summonsed help. The deputy was able to rescue her from the front door area to the front yard, preventing further injury prior to the arrival of the fire department.
Thirty firefighters from the Abingdon Fire Company responded to the single-alarm blaze and had it under control within 20 minutes.
Initial reports indicated a basement fire. Investigators were able to determine the fire originated in the kitchen and breached the basement door, dropping fire debris into the basement where it ignited other combustibles. The preliminary cause is blamed on electrical failure of a space heater.
The Office of the State Fire Marshal estimated the fire caused $50,000 in damage to the home and another $50,000 to its contents.
The homeowners are being assisted by Harford County Disaster Assistance.